Thursday, April 12, 2012

Trying Stuff

Things I'm trying lately:

Instagram.  I love it!  Instagram is a smartphone app that takes regular ol' uninteresting camera phone pictures taken by me, slaps a filter of my choosing on them, and transforms the lighting/background/focal points into looking way, way, way cooler and more stylish.  Previously, this app has been exclusive to iPhone users, and this girl has been pretty envious over it.  But not anymore!  Android users, like myself, are now jumping up and down and snapping pics like crazy.  And it's free.

Now I'm not well versed in the technical terminology of photography, and I don't know the 'why's' and 'how's' that make these pics look better.  But they just do look better.  Check out the before's and after's. 



Emma before.



Emma after! 


Whitney before - a once texted photo called "I'm giving you the hairy eyeball, Jim."


Whitney after.  Still looking weird and disapproving, but at least with flair.


Spinach smoothies.  Yeah, that's right.  You read that correctly.  Pinterest has called my attention to these unusual concoctions that more than a few people say is "healthy yet surprisingly tasty."  I had to see for myself.  In a blender, I stuffed a fistful of baby spinach leaves, a small container of Yoplait vanilla yogurt, a quarter cup of Splenda, a handful of strawberries and blueberries, a drop or two of vanilla, milk, water, lots of ice, and then I pushed the "obliterate" button. If you can get over the strange purplish green color, you, too, can enjoy this treat without gagging.  The leaf bits get ground  into little tiny specks.  Just imagine that they're the vanilla bean specks in a bowl of some completely indulgent vanilla ice cream.  And at the same time, it'll make you sort of feel like you've at least attempted to be healthy. 

Since then, I've learned that Jim has done research and found that eating one regular container of vanilla yogurt is the equivalent of consuming three fudgesicles right out of the freezer.  And that sort of popped my bubble.  I'll try the fat free yogurt next time and get back to you on the taste factor vs. health factor.  I'm still hopeful.




Accepting the fact that Jack is growing up.  I mean.  Just look at my shoe next to his!  Ugh.


Accepting the fact that I'll never be able to do anything about my reaaally unnaturally THICK ankles.  This just now made the list.  After I uploaded the picture above.  Yuck. 

Getting through the school year.  Here's a milestone that shows a light IS at the end of the tunnel.  It's MAP testing time.  Kids take the state achievement test, and Danavee and Whit wear their ridiculously clever "#2 is #1 if you're a pencil"  t-shirts to honor the arrival of April.  Which precedes the arrival of May.  And we all know the significance of May.  The end of the madness. 



Solving the mystery that is my sabotaging washer and/or dryer. 
For the past year, I can't even count how many random and isolated pieces of clothing that, within an occasional load, come out of the laundry cycle completely ruined.  I will fold a piece and discover that one solitary pant leg is totally covered with splotchy blue patches.  Or sometimes red splotches.  And it's a puzzle that is not consistently predictable.  We'll go for months with a no-clothes-ruined streak, and then... BLAST IT.  Jim's shirt is ruined.  Emma's dress has to be trashed.  Or if it was this morning...

My best fitting khakis.  Red crap all down the leg.  Like I'd poured red Kool-Aid into the wash cycle.  WHAT IS THIS CRAZINESS?

No other clothes in the pile affected.  No color runs.  No melted crayon in the pocket.  I don't use fabric softener.  My detergent is not red.  Nothing.  No identifiable reason.  Just upsetting.  And I have no leads on this mystery.  Help.

Wearing more dresses because it makes me feel girly, and I like that.  I sort of look at this as an excuse to do more shopping.  And that could be fun.  Here's my first purchase.  A dress/Instagram combo.  Look how proficient I am getting at completing things on my "Try" list.  Hot dog!


Needs a sweater for school.


But my favorite part is the neckline, and a sweater hides that.  Boo!  Thanks to Danavee, by the way,  for teaching me how to pose like a model.  Work it, girl.  And thanks to Jack for the impatient look on my face because he wouldn't hurry up and snap the pic.  

Finishing the second book of the Hunger Games series.  I was definitely hooked on the first book, and I loved seeing it come to life in the movie theater.  And although I have begun the second book and am definitely entertained, I've just not made the time to push through it.  Ugh.  Come onnnn summer... when I am carefree and light.  I think we're down in the twenties for the countdown on days left of school.  It's a-comin!

While I'm still loaded down with school duties and strapped for time, I'll make do with visiting silly websites like THIS ONE to remind me of my love for the series. 

My "Hunger Name" is Chicory Thunderpickle and I "had the honor of being a District 6 tribute in the 69th Hunger Games." I was killed by my "inability to outrun a swarm of wasp creatures." 

Yeah.  That sounds about right.  Wasps have always had it out for me.

What's your Hunger Name?  Leave it in the comments for me, please.

Keeping my classroom decor more up to date.  I guess I've been preoccupied at work.  Uhhh.

 
Definitely do NOT let it snow.  Those might even be Christmas trees there.  Wake up, Whitney.  Sheesh.

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Yay for Instagram and cool photos and pretty dresses (that I want) and MAP being over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you in a dress!!! Super cute you are! What is your Instagram name so I can follow you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Instagram makes me feel like I take Sarah quality photos! And I love, love that dress. I think I want to wear more dresses too!

    ReplyDelete