Monday, July 6, 2009

Phobias

Do you know just how many weird phobias there are out there? "Lots" is a totally insufficient word to describe the amount. But there are lots. Jim is watching the Tour de France at the moment, and because I'm interested (but not as interested as he is), I've researched some weird phobias that make me laugh in between my occcasional glances at the mobs of bicyclists on the television screen.

Phobias that I think are strange:

Arachibutyrophobia- Fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of the mouth
Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- Fear of long words
Kyphophobia- Fear of stooping
Hobophobia- Fear of bums, beggars, or homeless vagrants (This one's for Danavee.)
Apotemnophobia- Fear of persons with amputations
Dutchphobia- Fear of the Dutch

Phobias that I'm pretty sure I have (mildly or severely):

Spheksophobia- Fear of wasps
Aeroacrophobia -Fear of open high places (and specifically someone running up behind you and pushing you off of the open high place)
Apiphobia- Fear of bees
Dextrophobia- Fear of objects at the right side of the body (would be more applicable to me if it said "neck")
Anginophobia- Fear of choking or narrowness (I used to not let Jim eat while we were driving for fear that he would choke on his burger and, while trying to save him, I wouldn't be able to handle both the taking over control of the car AND the administering of the Heimlich maneuver.)

Phobias that I would rather have because they're so much cooler:

Pteronophobia- Fear of being tickled by feathers
Automatonophobia- Fear of ventriloquist's dummies
Lutraphobia- Fear of otters

2 comments:

  1. HOMELESS VAGRANTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    The smile this brought to my face can't be described in words. Such a satisfying sigh......awwwww.

    Now it's my turn......

    Phobias that I think are strange:
    Ablutophobia - Fear of washing or bathing.

    Phobias that I'm pretty sure I have (mildly or severely):
    Asymmetriphobia - Fear of asymmetrical things.

    Phobias that I would rather have because they're so much cooler:
    Bolshephobia - Fear of Bulsheviks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it funny that the longest word in your list of phobias is the fear of long words? I think I have that one.

    ReplyDelete