Thursday, January 24, 2008

A Select Few

Emma is now almost two months old. Somewhere in the gap between Jack and Emma, I've forgotten that around two months of age is when a baby starts to lock onto your face with his/her eyes.. and not just by accident. This is the real thing - a deliberate stare at your mouth, your nose, your chin, your hair. Your baby is taking you in in every single way, and you are important to her. You KNOW this is the real thing because the eyes suddenly stop scanning and fix right on yours. What a great feeling! And you can't help yourself. You smile and immediately begin jabbering on in this weird, instinctual "mommy talk". A second and third confirmation comes. She smiles BACK and her legs kick suddenly at the excitement of this moment between the two of you.

So now that I've discovered my ability to evoke this happy reaction from Emma, I've been feeling pretty special lately. Emma seems to be head over heels for me! I'm hilarious and fun - the best mommy you'll ever know. And it certainly is a big high to be able to cause such a monumental bright spot in her day. Not many can do this, you know. This reaction is reserved for a select few: me, daddy, grandmas,
...aaaand the ceiling fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment