Monday, May 10, 2010

What "To-Do" About Summer

My summer break is getting nearer and nearer, and this summer, I'm looking at things differently. Most other years, I would spend January-May salivating at the thought of lazy days and nothingness. Then, stunned at summer's actual arrival, I'd stall - overwhelmed by all of the empty spaces on the schedule. I'd spend so much time considering all of the glorious options that I'd actually end up doing nothing. This year, I feel so different. I don't want to wake up in August one morning and realize that school's around the corner, feeling like I have to ask myself, "What exactly did I do with all that time?" Instead, this year, I want to use and appreciate all the minutes. I don't want to waste my days. I don't want to be caught without a plan. THAT'S when time sneaks right by me. This summer is going to be different. I'm claiming this summer. It's mine.

Here is my first step at making THIS summer a different kind of summer... a to-do list. I'm not usually a list maker. But here goes. It's time for new things.

1. Create a system. This is the first on my list because it's the biggest and most important to me. I'm good at a lot of things, but housekeeping has never been one of them. I like for things to be orderly, but I don't specialize at creating the order in the first place. My home time has a tendency to cause me stress, and this is because I don't have a system. Things don't have a "home". Instead, things get shifted around in stacks from place to place. Surfaces are storage spaces despite the availability of drawers or cabinet spaces. We have a shifting clutter problem. All the closets in my house need a system. All the bedrooms need a system. The laundry needs a system. _______ needs a system. You get the point. Organization eludes me, and it's about time to do something about it. I may invest in a label maker if that's what it takes. I may even containerize. Oh dear.

2. Do a little painting and decorating. Parts of my house are cozy and comfy and feel like me. Other parts are bare and without any personality at all. It's time to make certain rooms more comfortable to live in. Things that make me smile and feel happy are going on the wall. It's time for color. It's time for quirkiness. It's time for filling the spaces with us.

3. Go to the pool often. Our neighborhood has a pool. I haven't always maximized use of this wonderful and kid friendly feature. It's time to make this an "almost every day" hang out. Sunshine feels good. Bring on the freckles! A few are poking out across Emma's nose even now. Grin.

4. Be healthier. Every woman I know says this, but really... Summer is the time to eat more fruits and veggies. Eat often, and eat lighter. Nibble on good things. Look up new recipes. Cook more. Eat junk less. Way less.

5. Move more. There was a period of time this school year where I pledged myself to routine exercise. I openly groaned about it, but I did it. And gosh, it made me feel good. Every part of my body felt different, and then it began to look different. It was wonderful, but I will admit that our family time suffered when I tried to add in my exercise around Jim's strenous triathlon training. I'm not quite sure how to realistically manage exercise, family, and work at the same time during the school year. But summer? During the summer, I've decided to take advantage of the free time and return to feeling stronger.

6. Plant something... and then... here's the tricky part... keep it alive. Every to-do list needs a goal that stretches the listmaker. A challenge. This is mine.

I can't WAIT for summer! What are your "to-do's" for this year?

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE THIS BLOG! You've inspired me to do the same! I can't wait to figure out my to-do list this summer! ANNNNDDD I can't wait to decorate your house with you........and help you containerize. Then maybe you could help ME containerize. Then maybe we could swim together as a reward for containerizing! ANNNNDDD you could bring the kiddos over to my sister's pool to play with Alex and Avery for a change of scenery! YEAH! YEAHHH!!!!! YEAHHHHHHH!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, now you two are stressing me out! This summer I am doing the opposite. I am tired of my lists and I'm throwing them away. I just want to live completely and totally spontaneously. AND, I am planning how to do it! I just looked up Elephant Rock and would love to take a weekend trip with the fam. We are definitely going to St. Louis for family fun. I plan to count the weekends and do something fun for each one. And maybe, just maybe, I will do some trips during the week days too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have, yet again, inspired me Whiteney (I know I spelled it wrong) Hooderpyler. I am sitting at my desk right now debating on what I should do...
    I highly am recommending that you, Danavee, myself and whoever else we can drag with us, go the Farmer's Market often. I have a grill and one thing on my list is to have friends over more often (hing hint) and kids are welcome. I would love to plow through your closets and organize them. I love closets and my lack there of leaves my heart longing. You forgot one very important thing on that list, GARAGE SALE! (oh and any time you have a desire to go on a walk, just hollar, we have a great gift of going on unintended long walks)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep pouring over this blog.
    I. Love. It.

    ReplyDelete