Sunday, June 26, 2011

Agenda: " FUN!"

We are in the thick of summer and the monotony of alternating between the library and the pool as our big "destinations" for the day is maybe setting in a little.  (Remind me NOT to come back and read this during the school year.  I'll want to hang myself for saying that.) 

But anyway.  That's why I was pretty excited when Jim got the idea to head to Branson for some fun.  He mentioned "go karts."  And I didn't even have to listen to the rest....  I was on board!

On the official agenda that I quit listening to was:  go karts, mini-golf, and the well known local Lambert's Cafe, the only home of the throwed rolls!   I cannot really explain how excited I was.

First was go karting:


Jack is now big enough that he can drive the "rookie carts" by himself.  But he was nervous at first.  So we all drove together for some runs.  It was so fun.


Emma squealed the entire time while driving, "Wheeee!  I am really driving this thing!  Wheeeee!"  (Of course, that "steering wheel" there is nothing more than a prop wheel, giving her the illusion of driving the thing.  But don't tell her.)  She had a BLAST.


 And by that time, Jack had got pretty comfortable with the idea of driving by himself.  So he did.  He was great.

And this is Emma.  On the side.  Waiting.  Unhappily.

Next:  Bumper Boats.
This wasn't on the official agenda, but it was so hot.  And we noticed that the boats have devices to aim and squirt water at each other.  And that water looked so opposite of hot.  So we deviated from the plan.



I sat on the side and took pictures.  So, I was still hot.


 Wait!  Wait!  Let me back up to before that. 

I have to tell you about this part. This is Emma standing in line.  See those bars?  About two minutes before the boarding of the boats, she got her head stuck in those bars.  (Laughing.)  It was really sort of scary for about ten seconds of "oh my gosh! Our kid's head is totally stuck!-ness"... like a bad family movie.  Her little bottom was going back and forth, but her head was motionless and very, very caught. 

But calm Jim came to the rescue.  And this was Emma after the crying stopped and the appreciation for one's bodily freedom was realized.

(Laughing again.  I like that story in sorta the same way that I like it when people fall down.  I wish you could have seen it.)

But back to bumper boats!  Jack was relentless with the squirting.  And Emma's admonishing "JAAAAACK!  STOPPPP SQUIRTINNNNNG MEEEEE!" could be heard for miles, I'm sure of it.

No, seriously.  There was a guy on his cell phone by the pool.  He had to get up and move.  And by the look he gave me, I'm pretty sure it was because of my mouthy daughter.


But then everyone learned that there is a sweet spot out of harm's way that can be reached by simply, scrunching one's entire body into a space it should not normally fit into.  Cower like this, and you're good.  People, take note.

3.  More deviations from the plan:  Kiddie Train and Kiddie Teacup Ride while Jack did more Rookie carts.



I didn't get sick!  I'm amazed!

4.  We did play some mini-golf, but I took no pictures of it.  It was the hottest part of the day.  And Jack kept reminding us that "this was the hottest mini golf course he's ever been to."  And then Jack's legs began to get tired.  And then I started worrying about the sunburns that I was beginning to notice and asking how many holes were left? 
This was whiney time, and nobody really take pictures during whiney time.  But... you should know... I won our game of mini-golf.  Jack:  59  Dad:  56  Mom: 54  Emma: (started playing with rocks at hole 3, so she was disqualified.)

5.  And now we were hungry!  And since then I've learned that for that kind of hunger, there is only one eating establishment that will do... Lambert's Cafe.   We were off to try this place where, in fact, they do hurl very hot pieces of bread at your head.  See?



Good catch, Jack. 
 And as if Lambert's needed any other draw for business than just the actual throwing of the rolls, here's Emma to describe the eating of the rolls.


What a GREAT day.

1 comment: