Friday, June 24, 2011

You're Deluded

This morning Emma asked me for jellybeans for breakfast.  This is not uncommon.  This summer I've noticed that it's a daily conversation that I have with her.  "No, Emma.  We don't have jellybeans in the morning."  Her response is typically, "But can I have them?"  And then she usually throws in a shrug and a smile.  I wonder what Grandma feeds her for breakfast during the school year.  Her resolute thinking that candy is appropriate morning "food" leaves me feeling a little uneasy. 

I was pretty pleased with myself when, this morning, she actually asked for a cereal bar.  An improvement! We're gaining ground here!   "Sure Emma.  I'll get it for you."

I shouldn't have been so happy with myself though.  I came out of the shower to find only two bites taken out of it.  The rest was laying there on the table next to the wrapper. 

She approached me.

"Mom, can I have pizza?" 

I shook my head no, motioning toward the proof that she hadn't eaten her cereal bar yet.

"But mom.  I don't like it."

I stood my ground.  "Emma, you can't have anything else until you finish your cereal bar. I don't like it when you waste food."

And so, I went to dry my hair.

When I came back, the barrage of food questions resumed.  "Mom, can I have a waffle?" 

"Sure, Emma.  But first let's check to see if you've finished your cereal bar like I asked you to."

And then... THEN...  I found THIS.  (I realize that pulling out the camera and making a show out of her poor behavior is probably not the best course of action here.  But for all of you people who swear she is the cutest thing on Earth, I wanted to give you a little snippet of the "other side".  It's for your own deluded sake, you know.)


After I stopped recording, she told me that she was "really sorry that I did that."

"Can I have some cheese?"

Hmm. 

She IS pretty much the cutest thing on Earth, isn't she?  Let's be deluded together.  :)

4 comments:

  1. She. Is. NOT. Sorry.

    But that was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have to agree with that... hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with you both. But she is cute. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sooo not sorry, but still sooo stinkin' cute!

    ReplyDelete