Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Alright then, judge the book. Whatever...


Notice the two children above. Elementary school teachers (not me, of course, but my colleagues) are sometimes guilty of "photo previewing" regarding their students. This happens in the summertime when one receives his or her list of students. You grab last year's yearbook and see what faces match these names you've just been handed. Some look like angels. You want to pinch their cheeks and scoop them up right then and there. "Oh! Now he/she looks sweet. I bet they're a good kid. Look at the smile." But just as you have these, you see some faces that fill you with a foreboding feeling. Hair covering the eyes, hunched posture, mohawks, excessive chainwear, an almost visible stamping of the word "HYPER" across the forehead, any type of snarling... all of these make you wonder. Is this kid going to make, or break, my year?


Now that's not to say that first impressions can't be wrong. There is a saying, "Don't judge a book..." So yeah, photo previewing is nothing more than a superstitious act that has minimal chances of actually producing accurate information. But still.... my colleagues do it. Not me, of course, though.


Anyway, in comparing the two children above, one would be an angel. One would be deemed a "possible turkey". Because I don't believe in the labeling, I'll not participate in this ritual of yours. But you go on ahead. You're wasting your time, you know.

1 comment:

  1. Too cute. I'll for Turkey on Jack, but he also crosses as an angel.

    ReplyDelete