Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Tour of Missouri

Jim is a big fan of cycling. BIG fan. Each summer we watch the unfolding of the Tour de France, and we scream and yell for our favorites on the Discovery Channel team. Lance Armstrong was/is a big idol for Jim. I, too, enjoyed watching him very much. But then again, I find a pattern in my "fan habits" when it comes to sports... I like watching a team/athlete who causes me to feel little suspense/drama while they are engaged in competition. I like gaping margins of victory... there's no stress and wringing of the hands there. Jim is different. Jim is loyally devout in his fanhood whether the athletic performance is sparkling or downright dejecting. He was a fan of Lance... the obvious and easy athlete for whom one would choose to clap. On the other hand, Jim sticks by FSU football... watching, still, with his back off of the chair at times while I have long since left the room to fold clothes in disgust.


The Discovery channel team has remained intact, up until now, since Lance Armstrong's retirement from the sport of cycling. Jim, predictably, has stayed loyal. There are still some key figures on the team that he adores: George Hincapie, Popovych, etc. Upon Lance's exit, some new key figures entered into Jim's fancy as well: Levi Leipheimer, Contador, etc. Maybe these people have even inspired some of Jim's own success in the sport lately.


The Tour of Missouri, a new cycling event, has come to our neck of the state. Sure, it's been on the news, and people are talking about it. But for Jim.... this is THE event. A chance of a lifetime to see a peloton composed of famous, professional cyclists blowing your hair back as you stand watching from the curb. Today was the day The Tour of Missouri pedaled southward to Springfield. My husband was ready. While standing at the ironing board this morning, I listened as Jim pondered, "I know it most likely will never happen, but let's just say I get the chance to have a conversation with George." I smiled to myself, hoping he wasn't setting himself up for disappointment. I guess my silence wasn't satisfying enough because he went further, "I mean, what if you got the chance to speak to John Mayer. What do you say?" Good question there. What do you say? I just offered a supportive, "I don't know, Babe. I would just stutter, I guess." I said good-bye to Jim this morning and saw that he must have still been thinking about the possibilities... he had that floaty, starry-eyed look about him.


Three texts came to my cell phone today. Each was more exclamatory than the previous message. You can imagine their subjects as you view the following pictures. My goodness! How fun for my Jim.

Popo's bike!!!



Jim holds the camera high to snap a photo of a Leipheimer interview


Inches from Contador, 2007 Tour de France winner


A great view of the bell lap... Hincapie in second at the moment

Hincapie on the podium as he is awarded the yellow jersey

Jim sits and casually chats with George - winner of the day's stage

Who would've thought?

No comments:

Post a Comment