Sunday, September 16, 2007

Hodge Podge Entry

I'm a little bit all over the place in my conversation today. You'll see what I mean. Maybe it's because I'm the only company I have, and my mind is wandering. Jim is off in Joplin riding the MS 150, Jack is at Grandma's, and I'm grading papers to music. Speaking of music...

When I'm alone and relaxing, I find myself cranking the radio or picking up the mp3 player. It's a habit. A natural thing happens next... a retreat back into Whitney. The week has been busy, but I've discovered that when the music of my choosing plays, I go off someplace and feel instantly more like myself, regaining what the week may have stripped of me. I can grade papers mindlessly, but my head seems to travel. In this way, I still can turn into the teenager that closes her door and plays her music reclusively. But anyway... how am I feeling today? Where's my head going? Like I said, all over the place. My favorite artists today:


1. Ben Folds

I didn't really know what I was missing with these guys until a summer concert (in which they were the special guest opener) made me more familiar with their music. These are the people you were friends with back in high school or college - your eccentric, opinionated, charismatic, and hilarious little circle of comfort. (I feel very affectionate about my own little high school/college circle in Tallahassee. I even ponder Jim's college gang... his band of guy friends felt much like mine. Consequently, I wonder if everyone has this "so odd they're cool" collection of friends at a certain point in their lives.)



Anyway, Ben Folds was number one on my list this weekend. Their self-proclaimed "piano rock" is satirical, smart, and intensely musical. They were most entertaining live in concert, and now that I've returned to them this weekend, they are just as fun. Note: They use profanity generously from time to time, but you get past it when you realize that it comes from somewhere intelligent and efficiently delivers just the right sarcastic message. On my songlist: All You Can Eat, Gone, Bitches Ain't Right, Trusted, Landed, Bastard. There is a funny concert story about one of these foul language loaded songs and the fast-handed interpreter for the hearing-impaired, stage-right that did her job with gusto. Perhaps the song was selected on purpose by these guys that night. Pure speculation. But in any case, they really DO have sign language gestures for all words, it seems.


2. a blend of Colbie Callait, Corinne Bailey Rae, and Jack Johnson


Why a blend? Because my brain categorizes them collectively into one file as they all make me feel the same way... quiet and thoughtful. On my songlist: Bubbly, Like a Star, Till It Happens To You, Questions


3. White Stripes


I'll speak truthfully and say that, ordinarily, I despise this group and all the music it produces. However, there is one song that makes me smile: We're Going To Be Friends.
This song has a perfect back to school, autumny feel to it. (It was "that song" from Napoleon Dynamite also, but that's beside the point.) It's a sweet little song if you really listen to the words. In fact, I'm chuckling as I'm listening to it now and grading papers. The song reminds me of my favorite "type" of kid to have in class. Today, it's Taylor, a good little boy who's quiet, but not too quiet. He apparently has a special sense of humor and knows to share it only at the perfect moment so that you have no choice other than to appreciate it so much more. On a worksheet where he is required to complete the sentence with simply a noun, he says:

Some students played a game of "toss the propane tank out of the window." (I'm laughing so hard that I can't breathe.) Of course, he just needed a noun, so I'll speak to him Monday...



Other thoughts:
I believe I should be getting some royalties from the game, "Twister Scram." Seriously, Milton Bradley owes me some money. I believe that I invented this game on Gelven street in my front yard when I was nine. The only difference was that I used my collection of a gazillion pom-poms rather than the colored Twister circles. On someone's mark, we'd have to "scram" to another colored pom-pom... for an added challenge, you needed to reach a certain color to be safe. Now, I've not checked the EXACT rules of Twister Scram, but the picture on the box leads me to believe that I was onto something. Come on, Mom. Surely you watched out the front window back then and can back me up here..

Additional News:

I have a new car! I've never had a new car before, so this is a big deal. I enjoy the new car smell that doesn't come from a spray at the local car wash. It naturally smells dreamy, clean, and luxurious. My Jeep was going down the drain, so we've purchased a Ford Escape. It's similar in size and shape. When I get a moment, I'll post a picture of mine. For now, a dealer's picture will have to do.






1 comment:

  1. Twister Scram????? I know nothing. Pom poms scattered in the front yard??? Who's child are you anyway?

    ReplyDelete