Monday, February 23, 2009

White Elephant Fun!

My favorite time of year (within the worst time of year... I hate the month of February. February has never done a thing to me, so I hate it unjustly. But nonetheless, I HATE February.) is coming up! White Elephant Gift Exchange Day! Are you familiar with the rules of a White Elephant Gift Exchange? Participants begin by bringing the most horrid, pathetic gifts to school on exchange day. All items are hidden inside of attractively wrapped packages so as to disguise the lame factor of the actual gifts within. Only the owners rub their hands together, sneakily, in anticipation of unloading the terrible item onto someone else. It's big fun at the place where I work. It's fun to think up the gift, wrap the gift, exchange the gift, watch the expression on the recipient's face as they unwrap the gift, and it's just plain fun to know that you won't have to be going home with that crappy, crappy gift. Of course, you do get something terrible, yourself. But that part is totally beside the point, for me.

White Elephant fun is tripled if the exchange is organized in such a way that the beautiful packages are left outside one's classroom door for the taking. It then becomes an all day affair, stealing and switching packages from their places throughout the day. One has a little more freedom to orchestrate the outcome of the event... WHO is the perfect recipient for my gift? Who would get as big of a laugh OPENING this gift as I've had while PREPARING it? Ohh... I salivate just thinking about White Elephant day.

Anyway, the big day is this week. I don't think that any more than three people from my work read this blog, and so I can't bear to keep my purchases from this website any longer. I must show off this year's Salvation Army treasures, so that you, too, can join me in the terrible gift giving hype. And the salivating.

Take a look. I have a "Christmas in February" theme this year...

My first find was an old record album that smells strongly of some person's musty attic. I don't think I need to say much about it really. Just look at the cover.

Oh, but that's not all... Tijuana Christmas comes along with the bonus holiday gift below! This year's White Elephant exchange is going to be such fun.

5 comments:

  1. Yay! You did it. I so wanted to hear this CD and you posted it just for me. And you were right. Though I don't know what was funnier - the meowing or you laughing. I wanted to hear more though. Oh well, I'll just be envious of whoever ends up with it, I guess.

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a puuurrrfect gift for the white elephant exchange! Shopping together could have been a CATastrophe, but we behaved ourselves!

    HAHA! Had to get my silliness out of the way. Even though I've listened to that thing with you a hundred times, I still crack up when I watch your video. No videos on mine, but it's officially ready for your viewing pleasure!

    I'm really growing attached to my gift! I don't see how you can part with "Meowy Christmas!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand Jack likes to sing along on the tunes, and Poor Emma loves to sit still and listen to this thing via the headphones. My poor little 'tarded grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know some coworkers who would love this gift!!! Loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that will be a good one for someone to get. Have fun with the gift exchange.

    I really enjoyed the video. I can just see you sitting there taping that......so fun!

    ReplyDelete