Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The Language Barrier - a dramatic reading

Jack: (from the backseat) "Hey Mom, what's noon?"
Me: (talking over my shoulder) "Well, Jack, that's the name for lunchtime."
Jack: "Oh, so noon is the SAME as lunchtime?"
Me: "Well, yeah, pretty much."
Jack: "So what's afternoon?"
Me: "After lunchtime."
Jack: "Oh, okay." (thoughtful pause)
Jack: "Mom, what's afternoon called?"
Me: "Well, Jack... that's after lunch, remember?"
Jack: "No, Mom, what's afternoon called?"
Me: "Jack, I just told you. It's just afternoon. That's its name.
Afternoon is after lunch."
Jack: "MOOOOM.... (in the most disgusted of tones) What's AFTERNOON?"
Me: "Jack! I don't understand your question. You just asked me that.
Afternoon is after lunch."
Jack: (sighhhhh) "NO, MOM! I SAID WHAT'S AFTERNOON?"

(long pause--- what the heck is he asking me? ... but then it comes to me.)
Me: "Jack, are you asking me what comes after afternoon?"
Jack: "Yesss!!!! That's what I said!!!" (relieved laughter)
Me: "Okay! Phew! Well, evening comes after the afternoon."
(a satisfied Jack sits silently in the back of the car)
Me: "Hey Jack! Who's on first?!"
Jack: "Huh?"

2 comments:

  1. That was soooo precious. I'm glad you are recording such memories.
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. HILARIOUS! Kinda like the "shake your hand" thing from forever ago! LOVE THIS KID!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete