Friday, September 5, 2008

I Need a Nurse Pass

It is the procedure at my workplace to send ill children to the school nurse. One listens sympathetically to the list of symptoms and then records the problem on the standard issue nurse pass. The child then carries the pass, often hobbling for dramatic effect, downstairs to the comforting nurse.

Today, I think I need a nurse pass. On my pass, I would not write "is sure her papercut is infected" or "thinks her ear is going to fall off." I have written complaints not unlike this for children many times, and those children are surely convinced that these problems will very likely shorten their lives. These are serious incapacities, and they do deserve TLC.

But seriously, I think I need a nurse pass today. I find myself scowling. I am sleepy. I am in a bad mood. My neck hurts. My legs are achy. My arms feel heavier than they should. My left shoe is not staying tied. My t-shirt tag is poking my skin. My car is almost out of gas. Orange is really not my color. And I am sad.

While this list is impressive, and I could go on, I think I'll just write: "She knows it's Friday, and even THAT'S not making her feel better." Oh yeah... the nurse will know the seriousness of my condition then.

6 comments:

  1. So sad :( Cheer up. It's college football season and FSU kicks off tomorrow with a new QB.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a crappy day -- However, you will receive lots of pampering and TLC from somebody very close to you after that horrible work day is over and you arrive at home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...your nurse note is good here too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. AWWW!!!!!!!!! How can I even comment after that! I hope your day improved. I'll leave you with this: do the chickens have large talons?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Pete and Jim - a nice pick me up to an otherwise trashable day.

    And Danavee, Yeah they do! GOSSSH.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is not a typical Whitney post. So sorry you had such a bad day. But look at that sweet comment from your hubby. Sounds like things had to have gotten better when you got home.

    ReplyDelete