Saturday, April 16, 2011

Braids


 Emma's new favorite hairstyle is the braid.  These braids are definitely cute, but they take no less than 20 minutes due to the fact that she's three and prefers wiggling over sitting still.  But she looks so dang cute... so I braid away.

Jack was lingering around in the bathroom during one braiding session recently.  He watched and was clearly curious. 

Jack:  "HOW are you even doing that, Mom?!"

Me:  "This is braiding.  I learned to do it when I was little."

Jack:  "Do all girls know how to do that or something?"

Me:  "No, I don't think so.  It takes lots and lots of practice.  Do you know how to do it?"

Jack:  "Uhhh, Mom?  That seems like kind of a girl thing to know.  I don't think I have to worry about that."

Me:  "Yeah, you're probably right.  It is kind of a girl thing."

(Jack starts to walk out of the room.)

Me:  "Jack, what if you grow up and get married and have a little girl one day?  What if she asks you to put some braids in her hair?"

Jack:  (shaking his head and sighing over his shoulder)  "I'll just tell her to go ask her mother."



3 comments:

  1. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome.

    And you're a good braider.

    I thought their MIGHT be a mention of a fish in this, but no dice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fish post to come. I'm making sure it lives 24 hours before I document it as a member of the family and all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute. When you come up in 2 weeks maybe you could teach me. Of course that could mean 1 hour of braiding for me.
    So does Jack learn the "go ask your mom" from Jim or is it like my kids they always ask me. Even if Jeff is in the room & the question is for him. Like..."will daddy take us for a bike ride?" Mr invisible dad just laughs.

    ReplyDelete