Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Give Some Thought to Thinking on Thoughts

Danavee sent me a link via email this morning that totally appeals to the teenager in me - the one that took every single quiz the teeny-bopper magazines used to offer her. Since then, I guess I've not grown up all that much. Or if we look at it in a more constructive light, I love to understand the way people think, and this includes learning more about myself. Being a teacher, one is encouraged to continue learning and going to school throughout one's career. And in doing so, I've learned more about people's thinking patterns than I ever thought I would (and have incidentally collected a very meaningful Master's degree... heh heh heh, it's not that meaningful).

I guess people have their own thinking/learning 'fingerprint' - and although there are defined categories that some experts outline and obviously believe in, I think it's amazing how uniquely and intricately our brain's are wired, built, and created as a masterpiece. Some of the most interesting classes or workshops that I've taken have to do with multiple intelligences, personal thinking patterns, yada yada yada. (I don't get too caught up in the titles of these theories as I'm so distracted/mesmerized by the actual content within them, see.) Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed these books by Markova and Powell, and for a short time, I became obsessed with "typing" all of my friends, family, students, and people who approached within 15 feet of me. (I fit into the VAK group, by the way, and if you were ever close to me, it's pretty darn likely that I've silently surveyed and tentatively classified you too once upon a time... you may just not know it.)





Now, having said that --- I'm not really sure if I've swallowed this material for absolute truth in my readings, but I will say that it sure is fascinating. And I *hate it when analytical evaluative tools (or worse yet, people) take their assessment of you, smack it on your forehead with surety, and then you think to yourself, "Uhh... no. That's not quite me. You're so far off the mark, aren't you?"

Maybe that's why it's so fun when something comes along and gets it so right. This stuff, above, pegs my style of thinking/behaving pretty darn well. And it helps me understand other people's thinking and behavior better --- an added bonus to my life and profession.

Big sighhhh. And after all this serious discussion... Danavee comes along with her fun email. And doesn't it make you grin when something silly like this gets it pretty darn right too?! (laughing...) Hitting "redo", I believe, will erase my junk, and then the flipping-through-the-magazine teenager in you can play too. Fun.


*other things I hate (but that are distantly related to the blog entry above):
...the automatic and arrogantly presumptive thingy in the cell phone that predicts your thoughts and tries to "help" you finish your words via text. Ugh... just let me do it myself! Is there a way to stop that function?

4 comments:

  1. A big thank you to Chris for his comments regarding "32 Things..."

    I was a little worried that Jim would not see (and therefore appreciate) how much thought you had put into those so, "Hey Jim! Go look and smile!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hated that cell phone function at first too....but the more I use it, the more I like it.

    I'm a VKA, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I think that's what we decided. VAK and VKA had lots of similarities, I remember, so it was hard for me to decide about myself too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never could decide if I was VKA or VAK when I took that class. Maybe it is not always the same????

    ReplyDelete