Monday, August 4, 2008

Monday Piddling


Okay... it's the first week of August, and I'm back at work. I'll admit that I'm always a little excited and depressed by this... all at the same time. It's daunting to come into an empty, broken apart classroom that needs restoring and the reestablishment of the school year routines. But it's fun in a weird way too. The walls are bare, May's calendar is still up from a time when I ran out a little too hastily last school year, and everything has a layer of grimy dust that needs wiping. With a couple of weeks yet until school starts, I'm here by myself... partly focused and working, partly piddling and playing. Right now I guess I'm piddling. It's quiet in the room, and I haven't yet put on the yellow rubber gloves to start scrubbing desks. Instead I'm thinking of you - my own form of stalling today. You have a lot of different faces as I write this, and I wonder where you are as you read. Often you have my mom's face. Or sometimes you are another family member. Sometimes you are one among my small circle of girlfriends. Could it be that you are a friend that I've been sad to lose contact with? Or maybe you're someone I don't know well at all. Either way you're here, and since you are, let's piddle away some minutes together and further delay the work we must get done today.



Let's pass the time by playing a game. Pick one (or more if you insist on showing off) of the following questions, and answer via comments today, tomorrow, or whenever you show up. I'll play too.


1. Name one great thing about Mondays (because naming the unappealing things would be too easy).

2. Name all the objects in your immediate proximity that begin with the letter "d."

3. Would you rather have a pet chinchilla or pot bellied pig if you could choose between only the two? Defend your answer.

4. What one item would you purchase for yourself if money were no object and nobody really cared that you were indulgent and completely selfish for buying it?

5. Name one compulsive habit that you have, don't really understand, but you do it anyway.

6. List the first three breakfast cereals that come to mind.

7. What is the earliest memory you have? How old do you think you were when you were in that moment?

8. Back to the Future I, II, or III? (No brainer.)

9. Name a life goal that you haven't accomplished yet but want to.

10. Make up your own random question. Answer it.


It is strongly encouraged that you play, and avoid being a stick in the mud - yeah, even if you've never commented before. I'm pulling on the rubber gloves and leaving you some time to think about it.

12 comments:

  1. I'm piddling too. I like Mondays, but I think it's because I'm married to Dale. 'Nuff said.
    Anyway, the question I chose was number 4. The answer? A BABY GRAND PIANO I've always wanted one. Of course the baby grand would mean that I live all by myself, in my own very special house. This house would have an echo accoustic and also be in very specific surroundings (the woods). These woods would be very special as well because there would be a Barnes and Noble store there where all the books are free and belong to me. I'm the only one who has a key to that store too, and it would always be Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this answer. Absolutely great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Monday's are my day off from training.
    2. Desk, DVD (Madagascar), Dang Black Cat
    3. Pot Bellied Pig, would be a lot of fun watching Cookie and Porky 'play'.
    4. F-16
    5. Brushing my teeth before showering.
    6. Fruity Pebbles, Cheerios, Captain Crunch
    7. Uh... first new bike for my 8th birthday?
    8. THREE, I mean come on, there is a whole scene with a real steam train! - Okay, i was speaking for Jack there, mine is ONE.
    9. Fly an F-16
    10. What's your favorite funny movie? - Toy Story

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh, yes. Gotta love a show off. And now, let's criticize one of your answers... which I won't do to everyone, but see, I'm related to the two people that have commented thus far, and this makes me entitled to criticize or praise any answer they give. So go ahead, you there, comment without fear of persecution.

    Jim:

    #7. Uhhhh... eighth birthday? You have no memories BEFORE that? Good grief. There's something wrong with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, but I do love Fruity Pebbles. (And it's good thing that you do too. Fruity Pebbles could be the very foundation for a blissful marriage, in fact. Nothing else matters really.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1.I don't have to work on Monday anymore.

    2.dvd
    3. the pig
    4. a really big, big boat
    5. a certain order that I say my daily prayer in

    6.cheerios, special k with strawberries, oatmeal
    7. my sister wearing her wedding dress in the church dressing room..I would have been 3.
    8. Back to..Number 1
    9. There are too many to name just one...
    10. favorite dessert? mine would be chocolate cake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So where are your answers, oh masterfull blogist?

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. The kids go back to school. That is a little bitter sweet though, I do love our weekends together too.
    2.desk, disk, drawers, dolls
    3.Pot bellied pig. I think they're cute in an ugly way.
    4.A fancy small pick up truck. I still miss my "brown sugar" truck. It was named by a friend named Hans.
    5.Pop my knuckles
    6.Honey bunches of oats, Strawberry delight, it's aldi's form of special K, cookie crisp
    7.I remember being spanked when I was two. I only remember one other time I was spanked and I was 12 and I wrote on a very special poster of my brother's.
    8.I
    9.Sky diving
    10.If you were stuck in an elevator, who, not related to you, which living person would you want to be stuck with? Thomas Monson. He's the president of our church.

    OK, enough piddling for me. I have to go clean out our closet to make room for Parent educator stuff.

    I really enjoyed the game.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good answers, Jill and Jennifer. Thanks for humoring me.

    1. Mondays are referenced in many song titles and humorous movie quotes. That's about the only thing I can come up with.

    2. dirty diaper (cause I'm home now)

    3. I would have to go with Jill and Jennifer here as well. Those pigs are cute, and I don't really know much about a chinchilla other than that they have a fun-to-say name.

    4. A guitar.

    5. Hmm - ok. I eat around the outside edge of my cheeseburgers first. The middle (best part) must be saved until last.

    6. The already mentioned and beloved Fruity Pebbles, and then Total, and Lucky Charms.

    7. I don't know... I have many flashes and it's hard to put them in order of which came first. Probably looking up at mom as she rocked me in the rocking chair. I thought she was beautiful.

    8. One, of course.

    9. Lessons for number 4.

    10. What scares me? Answer: Remember that scary guy (the one with the eyebrows) from the 1980's movie Flash Gordon? Yeah.. he's pretty scary.

    ReplyDelete
  10. For #3 I would disagree and say chinchilla. Pot bellied pigs are alot more work than most people realize.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1. Mondays: The Bachelor is on tv on those evenings (when in season).

    2. Dell, desk

    3. I'm with anonymous, chinchilla!

    4. An old fixer upper house in the historic district of Spfld.

    5. Lobe: and that's all I'm saying about that.

    6. Cereal, granola bars, oatmeal

    7. About 3 years old??? Being in the yard with mom hanging clothes to dry.

    8. I

    9. Retirement

    10. I can't do this one. Band camp has fried my brain. No creative energy left......

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ok, better late than never on the comment rght? I know I am behind on your blogs...
    1. It starts with the same letters as money and if I didn't go to work on Monday, I wouldn't be making any money =)

    2. duck, desk

    3. chinchilla for sure, have no clue what the heck it is but I would name it Chinchilla and would say its name several times throughout the day

    4. I am going to go with Danavee, an old fixer upper house

    5. I always save my french fries for last, I usually tear food rather than taking a bite out of it, I count my steps sometimes, the list goes on, I am really strange

    6. Cheerios, Lucky Charms, Life

    7. 3, opening the cookies at the grocery store so they could breath

    8. none!

    9. Have a family

    ReplyDelete