Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Eat the Food!

Emma's six month appointment was today. Here are the baby stats: Weight - 15.2 lbs (25th percentile), Height - 26 inches (50th percentile), and Head Circumference - 17 inches (75th percentile... I attribute this to all the brainpower she's gotten from her mother. No smart aleck remarks, Jim.)

Anyway, I reported the eating problem. And the doctor seemed like she'd never heard of it before. "What? She won't open her mouth for the spoon? She cries, really? It's like you're in a knock down, drag out fight with your infant? Seriously?" Well, so I've misquoted there, but there WAS a puzzled and surprised expression across her brows. She offered to call a speech/occupational therapist to give some suggestions. Oh goodness... I don't think it's that bad. Surely, she'll come around. I passed on her offer but did agree to aggressively try with Emma twice a day to push the spoon and babyfood issue. Okaaay... but somewhere inside me, it feels like I'm traumatizing her with my left pinky finger moonlighting as a crowbar and all. Any suggestions, Mommy friends?

In the meantime, I'm trying to be patient. But I never have been a terribly patient person despite what I do for a living. Sure, I can fake it, but deep down I want the child to eat the food. Dad gum it. Good ol' Napoleon sides with me and urges the importance of ingesting the nutrients. And then there's Paul who says, 'Let it Be', Whitney. Sighhh. Oh, Paul... you and your infinite, Beatley wisdom. I am conflicted.

Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody... This is just me singing now, by the way. It's an unrelated and purely coincidental choice of song. The Beatles recorded a lot of songs, you know. Yeah, yeah... I hear what you're saying. It DOES fit well, but I just don't think it's about pureed peas or any other kind of babyfood woe. I have no more time to argue with you.

8 comments:

  1. Emma! Eat! Eat the food! EAT THE FOOD!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBuKWv9d8FE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knowing her obsession with cups, you could just let her drink her vegetables. Kidding, kidding.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am cracking up... go click on the 'ingesting' link.

    Hey, I have an idea! Let's just sit around and simultaneously comment on each other's blogs all day as if the comment forum was our personal email! I love this idea.

    How's your house coming? My new hair is growing on me, I guess. I fixed it different today.

    Want to come to Jack's tball game tonight?

    Let's go to lunch someday.. I need to escape my thoughts and laugh, and talking to myself on this blog is not really cutting it. I also need a Bacon Turkey Bravo. And we can kill two birds.

    Did you hear the tornado sirens the other night? What was up with that?

    Speaking of home improvements, I think you should consider the insertion of lime green patio furniture and/or flower boxes in front of your house. We can't say it's never been done before.

    Okay, joke's over. Bye, Woman.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Been thinking. . .
    Try taping the spoon to the inside of the cup so that only the part of the spoon that goes in her mouth protrudes above the rim. Put food on the spoon and bring the "cup" toward her. You KNOW she will go into her obsessive mode, leaning forward, trying to grab onto the cup with her hands, mouth open, drooling. I'd give anything to see that scene. What can I say? She's got this thing for cups. Use it to your advantage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am cracking up! We are really SOUL MATES........posting the same video clip and all!

    More painting today! I'm so tired, but I've got to push through in order to get er done.

    I want to see your hair REAL BAD! What did Jim say about it?

    I want to go a t-ball game! When is the next one, since I missed this last one? DANG IT!

    Bacon turkey bravos next week FOR SURE! That would be HOT!

    Sirens: woke up, turned on tv, discovered they were really not intended for Spfld, went back to a fitful sleep.

    I can't believe you were thinking lime green lawn furniture, because that's actually the color I am painting the house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    So this was fun. Lunch and t-ball NEXT WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mom, I am SO doing that! Expect the video. I did get pears into her mouth semi-successfully. But now, my new theory is that she just generally hates rice cereal. Hm.... will keep trying.

    Dan, picture on other blog. But I thought I emailed it to you? Didn't I?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! I just meant IN PERSON!!!!! Our game is Monday night!!! When is the next t-ball opportunity?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You won't believe this... Jim THREW AWAY the tickets!!! If we go (which we are still thinking we could) we are going to have to buy additional tickets and then come to the seats beside you. It was an accident, he thought they were old tickets from an April opening game. Funny, but not so funny.

    Tball on Thursday nights. Check with me on the times as they vary a little bit. $1 admission.

    ReplyDelete