Friday, January 30, 2009

Notetaking on Emma

Right now, I can look at Emma and be absolutely amazed at just how much I DON'T remember about Jack when he was her age. It's a sad thing. Everyone tells you to write little memories down in the moment. And you nod to yourself and think, "I don't need to write it down. I'll never forget this." But the truth is, you just do forget. Jack has gotten older. And I've lost parts of him, I know.

With that in mind, I've decided to write down a few things about Emma that I don't want to forget. These things are vivid and endearing now, and they seem like things that I could never possibly forget. But I know one day, I will.

My little girl is fourteen months old, and here's what she's up to these days.




1. She gives kisses (when it's her prerogative) with corny, stereotypical kissing sound effects. She closes her mouth, leans in, and says, "Mmmmmmm-wwwwwwaa!"

2. She dances. She's the dancing-est little thing on the planet, actually. She has one traditional Emma move. It is a violent upper body twisting with outstretched arms. I like to think that it resembles the action of the Chinese drum that the Karate Kid once swiveled back and forth between his palms.

3. Phrases/commands she understands and responds to correctly: *See you later provokes a wave. *Go get your _______ (nipper, cat, book, dog, ball) will result in retrieval of the desired object. *Can I have a kiss? *Where's your belly? *Where's your hair?

4. Words she says clearly: "Hoodenpyle" (I'm kidding.)

5. Words she says unclearly: "Hiiii", "Hot" (always whispered in reference to fire, or the stove, or the heating vent, or a candle, or a lava lamp, or Starbucks Hot Chocolate, etc.), "Daaaht" (cat), "Daaah!" (Jack!), "Nana" (banana)

6. She loves Cookie. Cookie hates her, in return. But, nevertheless, Emma is in love.

7. When Cookie is not available, Emma loves a stuffed black cat that closely resembles Cookie. This version is much more receptive to full body hugs.

8. Emma is extremely cautious when it comes to strangers. The caution level heightens (and can quickly escalate into crying) if strangers appear interested in picking her up.

9. She loves shoes. Shiny, black Mary Jane's are her favorites.

10. She loves to carry around phones, put them up to her ear, and pretend she's talking. Alternatively, she enjoys chewing on them.

11. Pizza is her favorite food. French fries are a close second. She's a little bit like her mother in this way.

12. Her hair is out of control.

13. She enjoys thrilling activities/games. "I'm gonna get you!" is a favorite. Tickling is always good. Flying through the air is super fun.

14. She prefers to eat with a fork.

15. She is right handed.

16. She would be thrilled to roll a ball back and forth with you.

17. She sleeps with a minimum of three pacifiers - one in her mouth, one in her right hand, and one in her left hand.

18. She thinks you are trying to kill her if you wipe her face or clip her fingernails.

19. She understands the word "no" and also understands to what degree you mean it.

20. She instigates games of peek-a-boo.

21. She weighs 21 pounds, on the dot.

22. She runs away from her mother when it's time to get dressed.

23. She will fall to her knees, mid-walk, if you shout out, "Craaaash!"

24. She CANNOT STAND restaurant high chairs.

25. She LOVES books.

26. Far more serious and stoic than Jack ever was, she's a thinker. She appears to be constantly evaluating and considering heavier things. One day she'll share her thoughts, and I can't wait for that. Until then, though, I'll remember what my grandpa always says. "She'll never be any smaller than she is today." I know he's right.


4 comments:

  1. How sweet! Emma will love reading this when she's older.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this blog. Great idea to blog about this. I agree with Danavee, she will enjoy this later on in life. I LOVE the picture of her in the chair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete